Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Perspective


I complained entirely too much today. I complained to my husband. To my mom. To my sister. To my friends. To my son. While I am a firm believer in the healing powers of venting, enough is enough. My life is pretty damn good right now. So, from now on, when I find myself with a desire to bitch to or about someone, I'm just going to think of this sign that I saw while walking my dog the other day. No whining!

Instead, here are five things I am grateful for right now:

1. That I did not get a parking ticket despite being parked for an hour downtown in a no-parking passenger loading spot. For some reason, my addled brain saw the M-F, 11 am-12 Midnight sign as reading M-F, 11 pm-12 Midnight. I just thought it was only for passengers who were going out drinking or dancing.

2. Mr. Monk is really into hugs right now. He goes full throttle, with the head, the arms and and the tongue coming at you. It's like a grabbing a shooting star.

3. While my family members and many of my friends live on the other side of the country, I can see their lovely faces on my cell phone thanks to the genius of Steve Jobs! I wish you good luck and good health, Mr. Jobs.

4. The blogging world. I only recently discovered the true joys of public journaling, but I gotta say that I am really digging it. I hope to keep it going for a while.

5. This weekend's road trip to Portland! Granted, Mr. Monk seems to have had a major falling out with his car seat in recent days, but maybe they can come to some sort of amicable accord in their 10+ hours together. We are so excited to check out this amazing farmers market.

In case any of you are in need of a little reality check, have a look-see at this incredible piece that a friend posted on FB. I found it to be amazing and enlightening--as noted in the article, despite the vast differences among the subjects, everyone sleeps.

lens.blogs.nytimes.com
James Mollison wanted to portray children's diverse worlds. What better way to do so than to photograph their bedrooms?

Oh sleep, I'm off to find you.

6 comments:

  1. Stopping by from vB hop! http://www.ohwhattamess.info

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to read that sign today. I did a lot of complaining myself. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had those complainy-ainy days myself...but gratitude is the best way to put things in perspective, good for you! It happens to the best of us, just keep doing what you're doing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sign! It's so good to stop and reflect on what we are grateful for every once in a while to put things in perspective!

    Stopping by from the Tuesday Free Hop (yep-I'm a few days behind, but determined to catch up lol!!)

    Christina
    Spilled Milkshake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elana. I'm visiting you from VB. What a nice blog! I like the way you express yourself. You have a very natural style that is easy to read and draws me in. I'll definitely visit again!
    http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com
    http;//thinkinginmyheadma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm passing by and following you via the GFC Blog Hop on VoiceBoks. I would love to add you to my blog followers too. http://toughcookiemommy.com

    ReplyDelete