Friday, August 12, 2011
Hear me roar
Well, there goes that theory that you can't get your period while breastfeeding. I am a woman now. Again. And so far it's really not that bad. I almost didn't even notice that I was menstruating (could a more awful word exist? I still have trouble pronouncing it, over 20 years after it became a regular feature in my life). Once you birth a baby using a tampon takes on a whole lot less importance. Though I am relieved that I can stop spending my non-income on pregnancy tests now. It'll be nice to have the whole "that time of the month" excuse again to buffer my everyday craziness.
Becoming reacquainted with my womanhood has made me think about how much more women have to deal with than men. Let's have a little recap, shall we?
1. Aunt Flo-bleeding for 4-7 days per month. Enough said.
2. High heels-I don't care how much cushioning a shoe has, your feet will hate you at the end of the night.
3. Bikini waxes-and we have to pay for the privilege.
4. Catcalls-I've never heard anyone say that they met over a wolf-whistle.
5. Pregnancy-clearly it would be the end of the human race if men had to carry around a growing parasite for 9 months.
6. Birth-whether surgical, natural or underwater, it still hurts like hell.
7. Breastfeeding-while they may go back to their former activities, your breasts will never be the same.
8. Cleaning duties- why is it that when my husband cooks, I clean and when I cook, I clean?
9. Less pay-even after all these years.
Then again, we get to talk about our feelings.