Monday, January 2, 2012
Things I learned while vacationing with a toddler
1. Always bring more snacks than you think you'll need.
2. Don't tell a mom who is struggling to corral her wild child, "wow, he must be a handful, eh?"
3. Disposable swim diapers are your new best friend. Cleaning poop out of swimsuits, even ones with built-in diapers, is not a good look!
4. Sometimes it's ok to let your kid play with the toilet paper roll in airplane/airport bathrooms.
5. Chilling at the beach while your son takes a two-hour plus nap in his stroller is a lot less fun when you realize he's completely peed all over his stroller.
6. If your child pees through his swimsuit all over his stroller one afternoon, you shouldn't be that surprised when it happens again the very next day.
7. Watching your kid chase around cats, screaming "at, at" while trying to feed them maraschino cherries is as good as it gets.
8. Pina coladas make the world happy.
9. Don't start reading "The Hunger Games" unless you've got a spare 5-10 hours in which to be sucked into a vortex where you will unable to carry on a conversation, go to the bathroom, look up.
10. Sand, while awesome, is also seriously annoying to clean off little boys' bodies.
11. Random people are very sympathetic once your toddler throws up on you mid-flight. Your husband, on the other hand, will repeatedly tell you that you smell.
12. The food that your child adores at home for some reason becomes disgusting and inedible in another country.
13. Some people really love seeing babies walk up and down the aisle on planes. Some really don't.
14. Grandparents are magical people for both children and parents alike.
15. Watching your kid walk for the first time in front of his great-grandma, grandma and great grand uncles is better than fireworks.
16. Doing shots on new years is always a bad idea.
17. The confused look on your kid's face when he wakes up in a fourth location in two weeks is seriously adorable and maybe a little sad.
18. There is always going to be someone skinnier than you on the beach. But, the odds are pretty good that there is someone fatter too.
19. Hypochondria is contagious.
20. It's best not to argue with your 96 year-old grandma when she says your son is a "cockeyed genius" just because he can find everyone's belly button.