Saturday, December 3, 2011

Out of the mouth of babes...

You thought what?!

I saw this list, 11 Silly Things You Probably Believed As a Kid, on Jezebel today and was so excited to see that maybe I wasn't so crazy after all.

It's comforting to learn that I wasn't the only one who thought that if I couldn't see it, it didn't exist and blankets serve as an impenetratable barrier from monsters. I still sleep with the covers up to my chin to this day. And, I never, ever let a limb escape for fear that it'll be cut off in the middle of the night.

Some other greats that I "used to" believe came to mind while reading this:
  • My aunt's bathroom mirror was a vortex through which I could travel to other countries. If only I could have unlocked the code before she moved!
  • Counting to 8 before opening a door prevented any bad guys from waiting in the room to beat me up. 8 is a magic number that I still invoke in any and all scary situations.
  • I would be a famous talk show host, with five different porsches for each day of work. Still waiting for my big break.
  • Tom Brokaw was my real father and one day he was going to come rescue me. He just seemed so stern but kind.
  • I was the perfect cross between Jo and Blair. In reality, I am so Natalie (minus the famous friends).
  • Pamela was the prettiest name ever. I guess I really got into Baywatch.
  • Magical treasures were buried in our backyard. Turns out they were remnants of a hotel that had burned down years earlier.
  • I was destined to meet my husband on a New York City bus. Nope. But, I did go out with a guy that I met on the subway.
  • California was an amazing place where people rollerskated by the beach all day long and drank pina coladas. Sounds about right.
  • Snakes lived in the sewers and sometimes came up into the toilet bowl. I always check the toilet before peeing, especially since the time in Israel when I was 17 and I opened the lid to find a SNAKE IN THE TOILET!!!

3 comments:

  1. Being a kid is awesome. What happened to my imagination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I can't wait to hear the gems that come out of my son's mouth. Should be a big improvement on the whining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I can relate with the number thing... although *my* number is 27, so things that I associate with it working it's magic take me a bit longer than you, I'm sure.

    I also wanted to thank you for what your wrote on my last post. Writing those "honest and thoughtful" entires inspires such GREAT responses like yours. I really appreciate everyting your wrote and will look into your suggestions! I know there are things out there for us, and I'm going to find them! :) Thanks again, Elana! You're a great bloggy buddy!

    ReplyDelete