Saturday, March 17, 2012

I bet people can actually die of embarrassment


There is a "My So-Called Life" marathon on Sundance right now. Sometimes you ask and the world answers perfectly. This was such a brilliant show. Even now, nearly 20 years later (holy hell, I am an old lady), the writing still seems so fresh and insanely accurate. I remember watching this in high school and hearing my own thoughts and fears coming through Angela Chase. Oh, the horror of a chin zit! I'm almost not even embarrassed to admit that I spent my son's entire naptime reading the various plot lines and quotes from the 19 episodes. Almost. I was supposed to do a yoga class.

People used to call me Angela back then too as I wore my hair in an especially flattering bob. Every girl with impossibly thick hair should try a style that is more horizontal than vertical, don't you think? A few years ago, my husband and I spent a few days eating breakfast and soaking up the Hawaiian sun next to a glam Claire Danes and her husband, Hugh Dancy. It was a small island and we saw them constantly. She was friendly and nice, but I never quite worked myself up to telling her what an impact this show had on me as a teen. Good on her for finding a new place back on television with "Homeland."

I wonder if it's too early to teach the little bit about teen angst? Will he be more of a Brian Krakow than a Jordan Catalano? I hate to admit that I'm actually torn between which I'd prefer. Although I do love a sweet nerd, who wouldn't want their son to be the hot, cool guy that everyone wants? Then again, he was illiterate, treated people like shit and generally spent his days in a stoned haze. When I was in college a very beautiful, very blond woman in my year dated Jared Leto for a few nights. The whole dorm was abuzz with jealousy about "Jared Leto girl." Hopefully, she found a new claim to fame.

My so-called life is forcing me to turn off the television...and think about subscribing to netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment